I made these muffins a lot this winter, but that was before I was blogging, so I don't have a photo (yet!) I really enjoy picking out funky cupcake liners, the more random, the better. They are so perfect to make on a Sunday and then have portable breakfast for the whole week. They are quite dense/filling because of the chia seeds, so one is usually enough for me, but if you're very hungry or have a growth-spurt teenager, they might want two –– on the other end of the spectrum, if your kids are little, make mini muffins for less crumbs and waste! BLUEBERRY CHIA MUFFINS
1 egg or 1 flax egg (1 Tbls ground flaxseed + 3 Tbls water = mix & wait 3 mins) 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened 1 banana, mashed 1/4 cup honey 2 1/2 cups, rolled oats 1/2-3/4 cups chia seeds, depending on how chia-filled you want them 1 Tbls ground cinnamon 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt 1 cup milk of your choosing (i use unsweetened vanilla almond milk) a handful of chopped walnuts are optional blueberries for topping (you could also use cranberries, choc chips, etc)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 12-15 cup muffin tins with liners.
- In a bowl, mix together flax/water mixture (or real egg), vanilla, applesauce, banana and honey.
- Add in oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and walnuts, if using. Mix well with wet ingredients.
- Add milk and combine.
- Put about a Tbls batter in each muffin tin, add about 4 blueberries, then cover with about half a Tbls batter. (I eyeball this part - pretty much you want enough batter on the bottom to make a good base, then add a few blueberries, then enough batter on top to almost cover the blueberries.)
- Depending on the oven, they need to cook about 20ish minutes - definitely check on them with a toothpick - take them out when they're almost cooked. I take them out just before the toothpick is completely "clean" so that they stay a bit softer. That's an advantage to making them without eggs - there's absolutely no risk if they're not 100% cooked through. :)
Take a deep breath and appreciate what you’ve just made and are about to enjoy!
What's your favorite muffin filling? Mine is blueberries, apples or chocolate chips... tell me yours on Facebook!